Re: [CSS21] Inheritance and first-line

Ian Hickson wrote:
> The effective result is what I described, though

Not really, no.  For example, the background properties would be inherited from
the first-line.  Really, the only properties that would not be inherited from
there would be the display, position, and float properties, since those
completely determine what sort of rendering object is created and where in the
rendering tree it goes...

> maybe one way of doing that would be to change to the model I described.

That's possible, yes.... It'd require some pretty major reworking of the style
system in Gecko, where there is a basic assumption that you inherit your style
from one and only one place.  I'd really rather not have to even try doing this,
which I guess means that I'd rather the spec didn't specify it.  ;)

> Did you imply that getComputedStyle() always ignored ::first-line? That
> would be one way of defining it which would work.

Still in Gecko, getComputedStyle will return the style of the first rendering
object associated to a node, generally.  Which means that it'll take first-line
into account... if there is a rendering object for that node.  If there isn't
one, it'll compute style based on inheritance in the content tree.  Which will
ignore first-line, of course.

-Boris