Re: [CSS21] Style sheet definition

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

>>> OK, so add that. "in this specification, the term "style sheet" is
>>> considered to mean a CSS style sheet".
>>
>> What on earth else would it refer to. It's the Cascading Style Sheet
>> specification. I am pretty sure all of our readers are quite able to
>> understand from context that when we say "style sheet" we're not
>> refering to, say, a DSSSL style sheet, but a Cascading Style Sheet.
>
> So, define that clearly. Its common for specs to refer to definitions in
> other specs. I'm asking for a simple clarification; and can't see why
> you push back so hard on it.

Becuase you and I disagree on what is a "simple clarification".

> You have not made the case that it would be less readable. Specific text
> was proposed, which you have not discussed.

The proposal ("in this specification, the term "style sheet" is considered
to mean a CSS style sheet"") is completely redundant. I discussed it in
the paragraph quoted above.

> It would be useful to hear the WG opinion, besides yours. Marking a
> minor request for clarification as a disputed last call review that
> needs to be discussed with the Director seems rather needless in this
> instance.

I just asked the working group (we are in a face-to-face meeting) whether
they thought it would be useful to have the spec state that "style sheet"
in the CSS specification referred to CSS style sheets only. They laughed
and simultaneously said "no".