Re: [CSS21] Style sheet definition, Examples, Unclear applicability to XML

On 10/17/05, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> On Monday, October 17, 2005, 4:35:24 PM, Philip wrote:
>
> PT> Chris, Ian (if I may address you both informally) --
>
> PT>  From the perspective of open standards, it's good to
> PT> see that neither of you shrinks from debating contentious
> PT> point in public.  From the perspective of the W3C's image
> PT> and reputation, however, this wrangling is doing little to
> PT> enhance either.  Is it not possible for you both to attempt
> PT> to resolve these points of difference off-line, and IFF
> PT> resolution proves to be impossible revert to this
> PT> somewhat unwelcome peek into the inner workings of the
> PT> Consortium ?
>
> I agree, which is why I suggested that some other CSS WG members might
> like to respond.

I agree that CSS isn't very applicable to XML, but mostly because CSS
takes very much the idea that XML documents are documents. The power
of data separated from presentation is the ability to look at the data
in different ways. Since CSS doesn't allow for manipulation of content
outside a couple of features (e.g. content), it really isn't suited to
XML. Now the argument has been given that XML should be used with XSLT
in this case, but the result is more HTML or another schema for each
view I want. This doesn't seem very effective to me so, really, in my
mind, CSS isn't for styling XML except in the rare lucky occasion.

--

Orion Adrian