Re: Printing a Book with CSS

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:31:46PM +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> I notice the dot-leaders don't align.  TeX [1]
> goes to great trouble to ensure that they do;
> do you envisage that it will be possible to add
> similar controls to CSS/Prince ?  From an aesthetic
> point of view, they also look far too dense (close
> together) to me.

I agree they ought to align. The precise features of the leaders are
still under discussion, including what to align them to. One idea is
to align the leaders to the containing block: if the width of each
copy is W, then each copy is n * W from the left edge. (Or the right
edge, in right-to-left text.) But we haven't thought much about it
yet.

To control the spacing of the dots, the easiest way is to add spaces
to the leader:

    content: leader(" .")

This seems easier than adding properties, even if it doesn't provide
all the flexibility that TeX offers.

Bert