Re: [CSS21] Status of defult (intrinsic) style sheet in UA

----- Original Message -----
From: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>

>On Wednesday 2005-11-23 11:30 -0800, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> So for "non-CSS sources of style data" we need to
>> select proper constant value for the source to place
>> such group of styles "at points within that sort" where we needed.

>Sure, that works, but I think it's a lot clearer to say:
>
> 1. UA stylesheet
> 2. non-HTML presentational attributes
> 3. user stylesheet, sorted by specificity and then order
> 4. HTML presentational attributes
> 5. author stylesheet, sorted by specificity and then order
> 6. style attributes
> 7. getOverrideStyle stylesheet
> 8. author stylesheet !important, sorted by specificity and then order
> 9. getOverrideStyle stylesheet !important
> 10. user stylesheet !important, sorted by specificity and then order
> 11. UA stylesheet !important, sorted by specificity and then order
>
>than to describe magic numbers for (2), (4), (6), (7), and (9) and let
>the reader/implementor end up with this list after sorting himself.
>
>(If this is actually the right list, which it may well not be...)

>-David

Ok, let's then return to my original question.

Can we remove mentioning of any UA specific pre- and post-
style processing  procedures from the spec?

In particular items:

> 1. UA stylesheet
> 2. non-HTML presentational attributes

and

> 11. UA stylesheet !important, sorted by specificity and then order

?

as it is really up to UA how to set initial values of styles and
how to implement fixup procedures.
It is enough to say that UA is in its rights to implement these
functions in its own way and this process is *completely unrelated*
to style cascading, specificity and order - scope of the spec per se.

Why we need these UA implementation details there?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com