Re: Line Breaking Properties and the inline box model

Boris Zbarsky schreef:
> It has a newline character.  But the text is using normal white-space,
> so the line-break is ignored just like a newline in HTML text would
> be.    Set "white-space: pre" or equivalent on that ::after
> pseudo-element and try again in Gecko.  ;)

The original question was about line breaking inside long lines of text,
e.g.:

Something-bladibla-something[arrh].

If the screen is too small for that to fit, the Unicode standard annex
14 defines that e.g. the text may be broken onto the next line after a
hyphen, before a [ and never before a . (period). Gecko does not
implement that, causing long lines to overflow quickly and I’ve seen
that mess up quite some layouts out there. There is a bug about this,
too, that is bug 212456.

It would be nice if the line breaking behaviour could be specified
through some CSS property, because for some elements (e.g. pre or code
blocks) the breaking may be undesirable, I’m thinking "line-break:
avoid;" or something.

~Grauw