Re: [css3-background] suggestion of alternate method for drawing shadows

ben wrote:
>>   Well, I'd like to agree with you, but what happens when you have
>>a lot of elements with alpha values inside of an element with a
>>shadow? It could get very hard to code very quickly.
>
> Well, the elements with alpha values inside the element with the
> shadow wouldn't get their own shadows unless they had shadow
> specified, would they?  And my guess is that it's not hard to code,
> but that it'd take longer to render...   I don't know offhand how
> alpha values affect contained elements.  It would probably depend on
> how that's being done.  hm...

    Actually, that sounds about right. So long as shadow-related
properties are not applied to an element's children, it should be pretty
straight-forward to render. The only negative here is that shadows of
child elements would project over parts of their immediate shadowing
parents. Probably not a big deal though, and the use cases are probably
not compelling.

    Would text nodes have the shadow applied to them, though? Oh,
forgot, there's a property for that already. It was in CSS 2.0, and I
think they reintroduced it in one of the CSS 3 specs.