Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> The data:text/css,test{background:red}test#test{background:lime} is a
> URI reference to the "test{background:lime}" fragment of the style
> sheet. I sure hope there is no WHATWG proposal that changes that as that
> would be incompatible with a broad range of URI and RFC 2397
> implementations.

Um, data: URIs have no fragment identifiers. Why would "#" have any
special meaning in data: URIs? (Having said that, data: URIs maybe
_should_ have fragment identifiers, but that's another story.)

> Well, they don't really help demonstrate interoperable implementation of
> xml:id in CSS implementations; even if all tests were correct, they have
> too poor coverage to serve as argument for requiring xml:id support in
> CSS 2.1. Some of the tests might of course be useful for other purposes.

Sure. In fact, the entire concept of "requiring xml:id support in CSS" is
meaningless to me. UAs will support a technology or not, there's no point
in a technology saying you must also support another technology, unless
that technology is a pre-requisite for implementing the former.

xml:id is completely tangential to CSS.