Re: [CSS21] Features at risk: quote in CSS or Q in HTML

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 21:46, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Karl Dubost wrote:
> > I'm just saying that dropping the CSS feature seems to me dangerous
> > because it has been shown that it was ?difficult? to implement on the
> > HTML side.
> >
> > Then I was wondering if the CSS property would make it easier by not
> > having a table of all cases, and leaving the freedom to author to
> > specify the right characters.
> >
> > Is it clearer? :)
>
> I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand what you want us
> (the CSSWG) to do. The feature, if it isn't implemented yet remains in the
> spec, will prevent us from leaving CR. Thus, we are saying that if it
> isn't implemented, we'll remove it so that we can exit CR.

From my understanding Mozilla got quotes in 1.8 and Konqueror got them in 3.4,
though with a few bugs (according to hixie's evil tests).

If anything the spec could be simplified such that multiple quotes are not
allowed in the same content or other complicating behavior. The required two
independent implementations are already here.

`Allan