Re: New layout language.

Laurens Holst Wrote:

>Kris@meridian-ds.com wrote:
>
>>min-margin:
>>
>Kris, why use margin at all? Margin is for margins. Not for positioning.

Well my whole point in minimum margins is this:

Sometimes I'm going to use a % margin, and if, I have two % margins moving
against each other (IE margin-left:50% and margin-right:50%) on two
elements sitting next to each other, with min-widths, at some point in an
absolutely positioned system, these two objects will intersect.

No, I'll be the first to mention that in my layout to Orion (which is where
I ran into the issue) I used things like "left:50%; margin-left:5px; to get
the spacing I needed, however, that doesn't mean that it couldn't be
userful, and more accurately, perhaps a min-left: attribute would be more
useful still.  If we're going to specify minimum widths and heights for
elements then we obviously have some sort of minimum static appearance we'd
like to maintain.  Currently I know of no way to do such a thing with the
spacing between objects.  While I've not run into this problem with
relative and static positioning, absolute can be a pain in this reguard due
to the fact that each object is absolutely placed in space, and a
percentage based absolute system with min-width/heights specified, will
eventually fail at some resolution.

That make sense?  or does the mechanism exist and I'm just ignorant?

Kris