Re: Is There a Problem? (was: The Progress of CSS)

On 7/5/05, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone thought of maybe finding a better process.
>
> Certainly one has thought about it. One has not found any good solutions.
>
> If you have any ideas, I'm sure we'd love to hear them.

Sure. Where can I get detailed information on the processes currently
in use and can I have time to do interviews to see how the individuals
using the current processes actually use them.

> > Actually I'm of the mind that the specs have to move forward even at the
> > cost of the current ones.
>
> IMHO new specs are irrelevant if old specs are not well implemented.

Once a spec is released, is there a reason it doesn't move into the
errata portion of maintenance? Shouldn't corrective work be done on
the new version so that the version being commented on can be stable?

> > > You are of course welcome to contribute tests to the test suite. It
> > > would directly help in bringing the draft to REC.
> >
> > Is that pretty much it? Any other positions open? How about editor? ;P
>
> There is little need for an editor for the specification that Mark was
> referring to, since the spec is basically done.

It was a joke. I don't want your job.

> > > There is nothing stopping a working group from working with the CSS
> > > working group on adding features to CSS.
> >
> > What about non-working groups? I'm free to develop my own XML grammar,
> > but I'm not free to develop my own styling properties.
>
> Yes, you are, so long as you use a vendor prefix, e.g.
>
>    -orion-layout: rect(0,0,100%,100%);
>
> ...or whatever. Mozilla, Opera, Apple, Microsoft, YesLogic, and OMA have
> all done this already. It is even semi-legitimised by the spec.

But then the only way to remove the -orion- part is to get it approved
by the W3C. Frankly, I don't think it's very usable to have all my
properties start out with the same text.

Orion Adrian