Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> must be interpreted by user agents as undefined -
> must be interpreted by user agents as having no value defined.
>
> Whatever you like.

There is no concept in CSS of a property having no value defined. This is
what I don't understand.

> | Definition by example defines one example, it does not define the
> | processing model, which is what is needed for a formal proposal.
>
> As far as I understand we a here for transforming ideas into formal
> proposals, right?

David pointed out that your idea had been rejected by the CSSWG. [1] I
explained that the reason this was the case was that we didn't understand
your ideas and that we would need a formal proposal in order to proceed.
[2] You put forward a proposal saying it was a formal proposal. [3] I am
just explaining why it was not a formal proposal, or at least, not in a
form that would be useful to the CSS working group in terms of us studying
your idea to see if we should add it to CSS.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jun/0063.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jun/0074.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jul/0090.html

> If you don't like the idea in principle - tell me, I'll understand *your*
> opinion and will honour it.

I don't *understand* your idea. I can't have an opinion without a proposal
that I actually understand.

> But arguments "this or that are not formal enough" are not constructive
> in most cases. Critisizing - propose, the only way to reach some results
> in discussion, AFAIK.

I can criticize formal proposals. I can't criticize ideas where every
comment gets the response "well yes, but that isn't a problem because in
the real proposal it would be solved".

> | > |

> | > What kind of inline boxes UA may stretch?
> |
> | Any inline boxes that have white-space: justify. See section 9.4.2.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#normal-flow
>
> Did not find here neither white-space: justify mentioning neither
> justify among list of valid values of white-space.

Sorry, I meant text-align: justify, my bad.

> | > This phrase literally means than UA allowed to change width
> | > of <span style="width:100px">
> |
> | 'width' doesn't apply to inline elements.
>
> But it does for inline-blocks. Right?

Yes.