Re: Proposal: :column pseudo-class

On Saturday 2005-07-02 13:59 -0400, Orion Adrian wrote:
> On 7/2/05, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Laurens Holst wrote:
> > >
> > > I hereby propose a :column pseudo-class, which I think would be the best
> > > possible way to resolve the problem that it is currently impossible to
> > > reliably select a column.
> > >
> > > The :column pseudo-class is effective on elements with display type
> > > table-cell or table-column or table-column-group only.
> >
> > The cascade happens before layout. You don't know an element's display
> > type at the time you are doing selector matching.
>
> Couldn't this problem simply be solved by removing the presentational
> attributes "colspan" and "rowspan".

No, that doesn't help at all with the problem Ian stated.

What would help is making the selectors select based on the underlying
table semantics of the markup rather than select based on table
'display' values, as I've said already [1] in the series of threads in
the past few days.

-David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jun/0220

          Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, The Mozilla Foundation