Is There a Problem? (was: The Progress of CSS)

Etan,

The point Orion made [1] is that the CSS WG has taken an unacceptably long
time to produce a standard.

Unfortunately, the post was emotionally charged, so Adam attempted to rescue
the thread from the flame-a-thon it fostered. [2]

What is most disappointing is that influential contributors like yourself
and CSS 2.1 editors like Ian Hickson and Håkon Wium Lie don't seem to see
that there is a problem.  Or possibly, the belief is that this is an
unsolvable or *necessary* condition.

The process can't possibly change if the CSS WG and this community don't
believe there's a problem with the current situation.

So, let me say that I agree *very* strongly with Adam and Orion that the CSS
standardization process is unacceptably slow.

I believe this is a general problem with the CSS standards process, but
particularly self-evident with the 2.1 release.

It would be interesting to hear from the four editors and the CSS 2.1
contributors what they think.

Presuming we can put aside the discussion of how to solve the problem, or
how we got here, let's see if the WG and the CSS community think there's
even an issue to be addressed.

If there is a consensus that there is a problem, then we can explore what
can be done to facilitate and expedite the process.

If the CSS stewards believe the current process is fine (or as good as it
can be), then there's no point in wasting our energy or theirs publicly
haranguing them.

-Mark

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jun/0248.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jul/0069.html