Re: The Core Beliefs of Usability and Their CSS Application

On 7/1/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > model is quite humorous.  Again I'll stress that the people on the other
> > side of the screen don't care how the web-site works as long as it works.
>
> And, unfortunately, often neither do the people paying the money, as
> long as the page looks almost exactly as they want it to look, when
> accessed using out of the box copies (i.e. no assisitive technology,
> no accessibility features turned, no tightening of security) of
> browsers that correctly use the User Agent string in somewhere between
> in excess of 80% and in excess of 90% of the hits in their web site
> logs (regardless that some browsers might cache better, and some
> browsers forge the User Agent string because of discrimination against
> minority browsers).

Again, if you want someone to do something make it easy and profitable
(if money is involved). If the computer can do it, let it. Let's find
a way for computers to do the accessibility and portability work for
us. Expecting the content author so far hasn't been too successful.

Orion Adrian