Re: [CSS21] Please endorse xml:id

* Norman Walsh wrote:
>Chris asked me to make a comment along these lines in response to an
>email exchange that we had on the public-xml-id comments list. I have
>done so.

Assuming you mean http://www.w3.org/mid/973417226.20050622025741@w3.org
Chris did not ask for endorsement of xml:id but to include text like

  If an implementation supports CSS 2.1 and also supports
  xml:id, then the xml:id attribute must be treated as an
  ID for the purposes of CSS selector processing.

Chris proposed this text when Paul Grosso asked on www-style
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Apr/0316):

  Specifically, would it make sense for the CSS specification
  to state explicitly that attributes named xml:id will be
  treated as IDs when styling XML documents?

The xml:id CR notes that "To the extent that a CSS operates on a tree
constructed from an Infoset or PSVI, no change is required." Considering
that CSS does not require implementations to operate conceptually on an
Infoset or PSVI, I still worry that the proposed text is not redundant
with existing xml:id and CSS 2.1 requirements; I've asked the XML Core
Working Group to take a position on this; no resonse yet though...