Re: [CSS3] UI element states pseudo-classes

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:42:19 -0800
  "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:

>There are too many "interesting" states of input elements
>which make sense
>to expose into CSS. For example :changed or :input-error
>would be pretty
>useful, right?

CSS cant dictate "when" that is behavioral for scripting,
scratch :changed, and with :input-error how would you
determine what that applies to exactly, or where it would
be used, what properties apply to it, etc...

>But I think if we will go this way (declare each state
>bit as a separate
>class) we will end up with the mess.
>And in general: we should avoid declaration of
>pseudo-classes which can be
>applied to only some particular type of
>elements as CSS is more or less universal language/tool.

We may end up with a "mess" if it is not defined properly
by CSS in general, and the languages themselves will in
the future define which CSS Pseudo's apply to them, for
example an XML element <myCustomInputField> wouldnt have a
clue what CSS Pseudo's apply to it, unless the language
explicitly says which ones, so that when it comes to be
the case, they say what it is and viola it will apply
there... (CSS3 Selectors, from my understanding defined
how they may apply to HTML for example, since that is a
language pre-dating this specification).

This is also (near-irrelevant) potentially the same amount
of mess as your repeatedly mentioned, and repeatedly
proposed '%%' value argument (which in _theory_ I,
personally,  support; though in description I do not)

>Group of radio boxes can live without ":indeterminate"
>state. E.g. <select>
>lives happily without it and it also has multiple items
>to select from.
>Tristate checkboxes are also something which is hard to
>imagine visually. It
>is better to use <select> from three options to present
>your intention
>clearly.

What if there is an admin form for example which shows a
sample User Preferences page, and the admin is to set
defaults...  a default of "disabled" for a tri-state
checkbox would be much more elequantly shown via a
checkbox than a select, I am not saying your situation
shows no merit, but in a case to remove a CR Pseudo, you
have to consider all cases ;-)

~Justin Wood (Callek on moznet IRC)