Re: [css3-background], comments on 'box-shadow'

>I would be very much against any proposal
> that required me to use images to achieve
> an effect that could be accomplished without.

There are almost unlimited number of ways to draw
shadow. "The exact algorithm is not specified."
(C) http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-box-shadow
BTW: where is alpha-value or opaque parameter?
In fact the shadow is a decoration artistic stuff and
no one real artist/web designer will rely on differences
in shadow rendering in different UAs.

Conclusion #1: Having border-image feature  implemented, shadows will be
rendered using border images in most of the cases.

The same apply to the rounded corners.
Rounded corners are useless without antialiasing.
There are many ways to draw antialiased lines and curves.
Professional web design will never rely on them. Border images
will be used instead.

For me 'box-shadow' and 'border-radius' and the way they are defined
looks like a naive attempt to provide a "cool features" which will be
used only by "naive designers". Real professionals will never use them.

This is exactly the same situation as we have with:
border-style: groove, ridge, inset, outset.
Never defined strictly - never used.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

BTW: Does anybody know how box-shadow supposed to be rendered
on media: print? As a rule printing surfaces do not have pixel based
transparency in the
common sense - they are almost vector devices.