Re: XHTML as XML

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Jesper Tverskov wrote:

> Only Mozilla/Firefox wants us to both style the html element and the
> body element for the same thing. This is redundant and no fun since the
> DTD doesn't allow the use of the class attribute in the html element.

You can just replace "body" with "html" in your stylesheet and it will
work everywhere. (The fact that "class" and "id" don't apply to <html>
elements in HTML4 is IMHO an error with HTML4, and it will be corrected in
the Web Apps 1.0 proposal [1]. Browsers support this anyway so if you want
to use class and id attributes on <html> it will work.)

FWIW, Opera do consider the fact that styling <body> affects the whole
canvas in XHTML in Opera to be a bug (I work for Opera).

[1] http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/