[OK?] Re: Broad application of CSS hypertext pseudo-classes (as to SPARQL "link" elements)

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:27:52AM -0400, Etan Wexler wrote:

> Bert Bos wrote to the comments list
> (<mailto:public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>) of the RDF Data Access
> Working Group on 12 September 2005 in “Small comment on
> rdf-sparql-xmlres and CSS styling” (<mid:200509121741.02820.bert@w3.org>,
> <http://www.w3.org/mid/200509121741.02820.bert@w3.org>):
>
> >It would be good if the spec mentioned that the <uri> element is to be
> >considered a "hyperlink source anchor"[1] for the purpose of styling it
> >with CSS. [...]
> >
> >The same may apply to the <link> element, although I'm not sure it makes
> >sense to traverse that link. The spec seems to imply that <link> only
> >points to RDF data.
> >
> >[1]
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/selector.html#link-pseudo-classes
>
> A “link” element (<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-XMLres/#head>) may
> link to metadata of any type and format. Nothing in the specification
> contradicts this potential.
>
> But let us presume that every SPARQL “link” element will link only to
> RDF/XML. Why, then, is it nonsensical to traverse the links?
>
> If the DAWG adds passages concerning styling with CSS, one passage
> should note the applicability of hypertext pseudo-classes to “link”
> elements.

I spoke with Bert about this and we came to the conclusion that
neither the <uri> element nor the link should be considered a hyper
link anchor because the SPARQL Results format is not designed to be
presented to humans (unlike, say, HTML). There was also the argument
that not all of the RDF nodes from which the <iri>s are culled is
intended to be presented to humans.

Bert, if you agree that this issue is closed, please reply
accordingly. You can close the issue direction by prefacing the
Subject with "[CLOSED]" where this message has "[OK?]".
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520