Re: [CSS21] Projected deprecation

On Sunday, August 28, 2005, 10:28:36 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:
>>
>> This comment is sent from both the CDF WG and the SVG WG.
>>
>>   The fact that a feature is marked as deprecated (such as the 'aural'
>>   keyword) or going to be deprecated in CSS3 (such as the system colors)
>>   also has no influence on conformance.
>>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/conform.html#q1
>>
>> This is good wording, apart from the two classes 'deprecated' and 'going
>> to be deprecated'. For clarity, and for conformance with WA

 (sic) ie QA
>> specification guidelines, please clearly state which parts of the
>> specification are deprecated and do not use vague terms like 'going to
>> be deprecated'.

IH> I have changed "such as" to "namely" since there is only one feature that
IH> is being deprecated ('aural') and one feature that is going to be
IH> deprecated (the system colours).

A specific and complete list (if short) is generally better than an
incomplete one, so that change is welcome. Its clearly accurate and
complete for a list of features deprecated in CSS 2.1. Its clearly
potentially inaccurate and incomplete for a list of future maybe
deprecated features.

IH>  At the time the section was written we
IH> did not know if there were going to be other things added to the list.

IH> Please let us know if that is enough.

It seems to me to be a satisfactory resolution for the features actually
marked as deprecated in CSS 2.1; they are now completely listed. Please
therefore mark that checkpoint as 'yes' in your QA Spec guidelines
conformance appendix.

It does not seem satisfactory for 'future deprecation' because the
reader could be confused as to whether CSS 2.1 deprecates system colors
or not. It would be much cleaner, from a QA spec guidelines standpoint,
to leave projections of possible later deprecation out, deferring to the
spec that actually deprecates it.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead