Re: Gradients in CSS3?

* Kevin Lawver wrote:
>I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think the constructor
>should be more like url() than a property, so we could use gradients for
>more than backgrounds.  It should be something like:
>
>gradient(color1,color2,direction);

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Aug/0114.html>, a
functional notation like this one is also needed if you want to have
more than one gradient in an SVG document since background-image and
similar properties would render the SVG document rather than using
the paint server for rendering. This could be fixed in SVG but the
latest drafts don't propose anything like that. In fact, as you can
see from the thread above SVG Working Group participants don't think
this problem even exists (they are wrong of course).

If we add syntax for gradients to CSS we really should not limit the
feature to only two colors. I've suggested using @-rules to set up
gradients, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004May/0184
which provides a more flexible and extensible syntax that matches the
SVG syntax more closely, helping those who want to use SVG and CSS
for gradients.

XAML

  http://winfx.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcp_conceptual/html/7b38c273-eef0-46b3-b221-48f12d9a3165.asp?frame=true#abbrevsyntax

also has a simplified syntax for gradients, which allows for more
sophisticated control over start- and end-points, "LinearGradient
0.1,0.1 0.5,0.5 Blue Green".