Re: Dynamic pseudo class cascade

On 19 Apr 2005 at 14:44, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > Yes, but an author writing:
> > probably will not consider that.
>
> Quite frankly, there's nothing you can really do about pages like that.  Given
> that markup, the links will also fail to show up if the UA happens to have a
> default blue background, for example.  No need for dynamic anything.

Yes, the example might have been farfetched. However, such pages will
proabably need to work anyway. The point was of course that even if
you had an author writing:
a {color: black; background-color: white}
it would still override the :focus colors, so while colors are
particularly hard to get useful, the way the cascade works might
interfear with UAs possibilities for using any :focus settings.

> > Due to the dynamic nature of theese selectors i don't think it's
> > totally unreasonable to consider such a change.
>
> So what would you propose the change look like, exactly?

I'm not sure i'd say i am actually proposing it, but i saw no
solution other than changing:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascading-order

Possibly something like adding a dimension where any property that
had dynamic pseudo-classes in its selector would be sorted to the end
of:

"Sort by importance (normal or important) and origin (author, user,
or user agent). In ascending order:

   1. user agent style sheets
   2. user normal style sheets
   3. author normal style sheets