Re: aspect ratio of box

Barry wrote:
> So maybe there needs to be something added to CSS to handle it. Since
> the original dimensions would be used for the sole purpose of
> calculating the styled dimensions, they can be considered part of the
> style.

I must be missing something.

For an image, there are two sets of "numbers" that are interesting:

1)  Intrinsic width and height.  These are part of the image metadata and not
     available until that metadata has been received by the browser.
2)  The computed CSS width and height.  These could be lengths, percentages, or
     auto.

The HTML width/height attributes affect the second set of numbers only.

The aspect ratio preserved by the UA is currently dependent on the first set of
numbers only.

Nothing XHTML2 says affects any of this.

So is the real problem we're trying to solve the fact that the UA can't preserve
the aspect ratio before the image data has started coming in, since it doesn't
know what to preserve?

-Boris