Re: [CSS21] Page Breaks inside Tables

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Christoph Päper wrote:

> the properties for controlling page breaks ('page-break-inside',
> 'page-break-before' and 'page-break-after') all apply to "block-level
> elements" only (13.3.1). Block-level elements are those with a 'display'
> property set to one of 'block', 'list-item', 'table' and sometimes
> 'run-in' (9.2.1).
>
> Are the several table box types (esp. 'table-row-group' and 'table-row')
> intentionally left out? If so, why? Otherwise please change it. Tables
> often don't fit onto one page, thus being able to control/advice page
> breaking inside of them is very desirable.

The working group discussed this and has decided to allow user agents to
optionally support page-break-* on elements other than block-level, in
flow content. However, until a decent description of the processing model
can be written, we have opted to not require such support.

One example of why would be with this:

   tr { page-break-before: always; }