Re: [css3-background] comments

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 19:44, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Bert Bos wrote:

> If the CSS WG is going to require something it might be nice to
> require browsers to use the same colors for CSS and for images:
>   <http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma/>
>
> ... so at least they interoperate.

What can we require that we don't do already? CSS colors are in sRGB,
PNG images can also be in sRGB (or have a gAMA chunk), so as long as
both CSS and PNG are implemented correctly, colors should match,
shouldn't they?

> However, I agree that it would be very nice to have for vector
> images.

I'm convinced we will see SVG (Tiny) appear soon. Opera, Konqueror and
Mozilla are working on it and many mobile browsers have it already.
(Although we will have to lobby them to support it consistently, i.e.,
not just with <OBJECT> in HTML, but also with 'content' and
'background' in CSS.)

> As Photoshop doesn't generate vector graphics I doubt designers will
> use 'border-image' as browsers are not particularly good at scaling.

But even bitmap images can look good when scaled. Look at a bitmap image
scaled by an SVG viewer. SVG requires support for bilinear resampling
(or better). Most browsers just do nearest neighbor resampling.

Maybe we should apply SVG's 'image-rendering' property to all images,
instead of only to those inside SVG.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/painting.html#ImageRenderingProperty

As the browsers are implementing SVG anyway, they might just as well use
the same image scaling functions for other images. B.t.w., browsers on
the Mac already scale images properly.

Bert