Re: Box model: min-margin and max-margin, max-padding and min-padding

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Brian Sexton wrote:

> So using tables for layout of non-tabular content via HTML is a no-no,
> but using "display: table", "display: table-row", and "display:
> table-cell" for such content is okay?

Correct. The former is bad form because it is using the content
description layer for presentation description. The second case is fine,
because it is using the presentation layer for presentation description.

> This reminds me of something: Is there any CSS property--either extant
> or proposed--to control whether a box containing floated content
> elements--paragraphs, for example--should be collapsed (as in Gecko) or
> retain the height it would normally have (as in Internet Explorer
> sometimes--apparently when style information is applied externally of an
> element, but not when applied directly to the element)?

You can get that effect by applying overflow:hidden to the element, or by
making it a float itself (with width:100%), or by making it display:table
or display:table-cell.