Re: [proposal] Table cell selectors.

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>> E[@column=number @row=number]
>>>
>>> Matches any table cell located at column number and row number.
>>
>> What happens with
>>   E[@column=1 @row=1] {
>>     display: block;
>>   }
>
> Boris, seems I do not understand your question well....
> First child of first row of table (inline-table) element will become block
> instead of table-cell.

Since your selector only selects table cells, once the element is no
longer a table cell, then that selector would no longer apply, thus it
would return to being a table cell, thus creating an infinite loop of
being a table cell, and not being a table cell.  At least, that's my
(possibly incorrect) interpretation of the problem.

> This is just a short form of
> table tr[@index=1] td[@index=1]
>
> or following CSS 3 proposal you've mentioned (btw,thanks!)
> table:nth-child(1):nth-child(1)

No, you've misunderstood the :nth-child() pseudo-class.  Your proposal
seems to be roughly equivalent to this.

   table tr:nth-child(1) td:nth-child(1)

--
Lachlan Hunt