Re: Percentage height meaurements.

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>   This stretches the content to the full height and width of the
> containing block, without the margins overflowing.  It should work in
> any standards compliant UA; it definately works in Mozilla  1.6 (which
> is all I have available to test in right now)  You may be able to find
> some kind of hack to get it to work in all UAs, including IE, perhaps
> using nested divs, etc... but that's not appropriate discussion for this
> list.

Well believe it or not I did read your first post, and I did try it, and
it didn't work :). Though this time I can see where you're going with
it. Not exactly what I had in mind but it'll do just fine :), thanks for
your help on this. On Mozilla specifying a min-height doesn't trigger
scroll bars with this approach, so that's one caveat. Part of what I was
going after with percentage heights was a simple demonstration of what
min and max heights do, though probably not the best example as far as
real world context is concerned. Too bad it doesn't work on IE (I'm not
surprised), most of my book is geared toward Mozilla anyway. Make it
work for the standards first, worry about hacks for other browsers later.

Another question that I have is this behavior intentional, as outlined
by the W3C, or something simply decided by the UA. I'm asking because I
don't see the behavior of having all four offset properties defined in
the specs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Regards,
Richard York