Re: Percentage height meaurements.

On 5/27/04 5:11 PM, "Justin Wood" <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/04 2:16 PM, "Justin Wood" <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> The solution to your problem, which IS NOT a final spec though (so not
>>> sure how good it would be to put in a book) is the css-property:
>>> 'box-sizing'  in the CSS3 Box Model spec [1].
>>>

>> Correction: 'box-sizing' is already in the CSS3 Basic User Interface
>> specification which is a Candidate Recommendation (CR), and implementations
>> (and uses) are officially encouraged.
>>
>> At least two working implementations already exist (IE5/Mac and Opera 7.5),
>> and Mozilla implements box-sizing with alternate syntax.
>>
>> [1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-css3-ui-20040511/#box-sizing>
>>
>> Tantek
>>

> Tantek,
>   You leave me corrected, I had thought I seen it in a CR spec, but
> forgot it was the UI one to look in, found it in box model, so said that....
>
>   Now, correct me if I am wrong but IE5-Mac does 'not' support the
> box-sizing property

Yes you are mistaken.  IE5/Mac *does* support the 'box-sizing' property.

> only it supports IE's mistaken use of the
> box-sizing,

IE5/Mac *does* has a default style sheet rule for box-sizing to border-box
*only* when in "compat/quirks" mode.

> which means that "border-box" is all it supports, no
> property needed ;-)

Quite the contrary.

IE5/Mac not only supports the CSS box model, but was the first browser to
pass the CSS1 test suite.

Tantek