Re: auto units versus 'auto' value, was Re: vertical-align

"auto" is used in many properties whose actual value
and replacing "auto" in the definitions with <auto> is nonsense.

That is unless you'd care to explain what you would do with:
{cursor:25%%}

You've effectively defined '%%' as a specialized <length>.
Why %% doesn't work with 'font-size' I don't know as I haven't
followed the thread.  (It might produce a computed value
outside the range allowed for 'font-size', but all that would do
is require it to be increased until it was within the actual range.
But if it cannot be made to work with all occurrences of <length>
it will be necessary to specify explicitly the properties that
it works with.

Personally, if such a construct is defined in CSS I would
prefer that it use a unit of '*' because of the analogy with
HTML multilengths. and the idea that if the sum of the %%'s
is always defined to be the greater of 100 or the actual sum
is a ludicrous idea in my opinion.