calc and the %% was Re: box-sizing.

"Note that 'calc()' will let you do a lot more and give you more
possibilities."

%% units and calc() are orthogonal in the same meaning as pixel units and
the calc().

%% units introduce concept of "free space" and give physical and strong
formal meaning to the 'auto' value which is, again, exactly 100%% in all
current use cases in the spec.

calc() could use %% units as any other.

calc() (without %%) will not allow you to define layouts like this

.fluid {
  margin-left: 25%%;
  border-width-left: 4px;
  padding-left: 10%%;
  width: 50%%;
  padding-right: 5%%;
  border-width-right: 10px;
  margin-right: 20%%;
}

I can see only one really valuable (for me) use case of calc(). Actually not
calc() but if()

min-width: if(width-candidate-value < 10px) then 0px else 10px;

But this will force dynamic formula evaluation. Which is not the case for
the calc().
calc() computes only once - while loading. Am I right?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com