Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

Well, I think that probably would go too far, largely because those who
would use such effects likely will be graphic professionals who would
likely be doing stuff better suited for SVG, Flash, or PDF, than using
the box model and CSS. This is not because it would be complicated
to program, but because it would be complicated for people to figure
out what they wanted from it.

Gradients don't have that problem. They are easy for both humans
and computers to grasp.

> > There is also a minor problem, in that 'color' would have multiple
> > shortcut properties ('font' and 'foreground') that would reference it,
> > a difficulty that so far has only affected border properties.
>
> The 'font' shorthand property doesn't reference 'color' in any
> version of CSS, and AFAIK, there is no shorthand property that
> currently  references 'color'.

You're right, I don't normally use the shorthand properties myself
and since the primary effect of 'color' is to affect the font color,
I just assumed that it was something you could specify there.

In any case even were I correct, it would only be a botherance,
not a major problem.

> PS. This isn't really related to this thread, but I noticed that, in
> CSS3, 'font' no longer has 'inherit' in the list of values, whereas it
> did in CSS2 and 2.1. Was that intentional, or was it just missed?

Probably just missed. It says in Section 3.1 of CSS3 Values.

   All CSS3 properties accept the keyword value "inherit".

Of course that is just a working draft, so that might be changed. :)