Re: CSS Gradients

Actually, the proposal as it now stands applies to borders with rounded
colors. producing a gradient that rounds with the corners.  A linear
gradient can be viewed as a special case of a rectangular gradient,
so anything that  a rectangular gradient can work on, a linear gradient
can as well.  However, for borders and outlines because of their topology,
the direction from inner edge to outer edge does not always go in the
same angle.  (This does make things complicated for borders with
rounded corners and gradients, but they already have complications
from just having the rounded corners that require a similar degree of
computation, so gradients aren't making the job harder)  The main
problem with rectangular gradients, if one were to try to apply them to
outlines this way is: where does the left edge of the rectangle meet
the right edge of the rectangle?  There is no obvious place for this
to happen and even if there were unless the rectangular gradient
happened to also be a linear gradient you would get a non-smooth
transition at that point which sort of defeats the purpose in having a
gradient in the first place.