Re: CSS3 UI "icon" property

Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>>Surely the correct icon depends on the platform; it is the icon that the
>>>platform's user interface guidelines would dictate for the context.
>
> David is exactly correct.  For example many platforms have a default/plain
> "document" or "content" icon that is used when little is known about an
> item.

Perhaps I'm still missing something.. but what item?  The specification just
says that the node with that style is replaced by the icon.  Say I have:

What exactly can be reasonably done here?  Is this an inappropriate use case for
this property?  If so, what would be considered reasonable use cases?  What
should UAs do in the unreasonable cases like that?  Or is interoperability there
not an issue?  In my opinion it is, since otherwise you end up with assumptions
about what should or should not be done based on whatever UA implements this
first and other UAs having to reverse-engineer bhavior.

Again, all this could use explaining in the spec, in my opinion (and I apologize
for bringing this up so late in the game; I did not realize this specification
was in Last Call.... if these comments are completely out of line, let me know
and I'll just drop the topic).

> Check the platform's user interface guidelines.

They say nothing about the case I cite above...

-Boris