Re: [css3-ui] comments

Hello Etan,

On 9/23/03 5:46 AM, "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com> wrote:

> Following are substantive comments on the 'key-equivalent' property and
> its definition in section 8.2.1 of the Working Draft of "CSS3 Basic
> User Interface Module", dated 3 July 2003
> (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-ui-20030703#key-equivalent>). I
> preemptively acknowledge the deadline for comments of 31 July 2003. To
> a large degree and for private reasons my tardiness was unavoidable. I
> humbly request that www-style readers, especially Tantek, consider my
> comments.

[snip]

Comments after the deadline for comments were considered if they pointed out
serious problems with the draft.

Regarding this comment in particular, the problematic 'key-equivalent'
property is being dropped from CSS3-UI based on your feedback and the
feedback of others, until it can be fixed with major changes to address the
problems and concerns that have been raised.

On 11/28/03 3:31 PM, "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com> wrote:

> Following are substantive comments on the Working Draft of "CSS3 Basic
> User Interface Module", dated 3 July 2003
> (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-ui-20030703>).
>

> 8.1. 'cursor' property

> move | e-resize | ne-resize | nw-resize | n-resize | se-resize |
> sw-resize | s-resize | w-resize | ns-resize | ew-resize | nesw-resize |
> nwse-resize | text | wait | help | progress | copy | alias |
> context-menu | cell | all-scroll | col-resize | row-resize | no-drop |
> not-allowed | vertical-text ] ] | inherit
> "Computed value: If there are one or more <uri> values specified, and
> the UA finds a <uri> that it is able to support (due to format,
> resource availability etc.), then the computed value is that URI, fully
> qualified, with optional <x> and <y> coordinates. If no such supported
> <uri> value is found, or if none were specified, then the computed
> value is the specified keyword value, or 'auto' if no keyword value is
> specified."
>
> It makes more sense to have the computed value be the full list of
> resolved absolute URIs. Creating an actual value should be the step at
> which to omit the URIs of unsupported resources.

Why does it make more sense to keep the full list?  On the contrary it
doesn't since the conditions under which a particular <uri> is used or not
does not change between computed and actual values.

> The 'Value:' definition does not allow the author to declare 'cursor'
> without a keyword; eliminate ", or 'auto' if no keyword value is
> specified".

Agreed and that has been fixed.

> 8.2.1. Keyboard equivalents: the 'key-equivalent' property
>

> "escaped character (character entity)"
>
> This is an overextension of terminology. CSS doesn't have entities in
> the sense that XML has entities. CSS has character escapes.

See above.  'key-equivalent' has been dropped.

On 11/28/03 3:31 PM, "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com> wrote:

> Consider an example in the CSS3 UI Candidate Reccomendation [U]:
>
>  cmd-\2E N
>
> That is a single identifier, corresponding to the string "cmd-.N".
> Recall that a single space at the end of a numeric escape is part of
> the escape sequence.
>
> There are several ways to split the identifier. I suggest the following.
>
> cmd-\. N

See above.  'key-equivalent' has been dropped.

Thanks for these and your earlier comments Etan.

Regards,

Tantek Çelik
editor, CSS3 Basic UI module