RE: Colour gradient backgrounds.

Yes, and possibly for other things as well.

>     Perhaps the definition could be something along the lines of:
>
> background-gradient: #000000 #ffffff top
>
>     where the first number is the start colour, the second is the end
colour
> and the position (top) would be the aspect of the element the gradient
would
> begin from.
>

>     I'm aware that the combined knowledge and expertise on this list is
> considerable compared to my own, so please accept my apologies if this
> suggestion is misplaced or unreasonable.

I could see supporting simple gradients, but would favor indicating the
direction of the gradient using the keywords "tb" and "lr" (and possibly
"rl" and "bt" as well, altho they would be redundant) as they are already
in use to indicate this sort of directionality in the 'block-progression'
property.