Re: CSS: %% length unit. Proposal.

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Yes, but _when_ the calculation happens is key.  Also, conversion to px
> is lossy in many cases, leading to rounding issues.
>
> I'm not sure what I think of the %% proposal yet, but calc() has some
> issues that would need to be ironed out....

My experience with doing CSS-based bar graphs showed that calculating
pixels as floating point values and rounding them to integers at the
last possible moment worked best. If you use integers to do complex
calculations you are sure to end up with aliasing problems.

I would imagine many renderers work like this already, as we would
probably end up with overlapping and/or gaps in fluid layouts otherwise.

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/