>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/tileex.png
>> will be rendered as
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/tileexsample.jpg
>> using "extended" CSS:
>>   background-image-margin-top: 16px;
>>   background-image-margin-bottom: 13px;
>>   background-image-margin-left: 16px;
>>   background-image-margin-right: 13px;
>>
>> More complex example (little bit ugly but nevertheless...):
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmengine/screenshots/tablebackgrounds.png

I wonder if the benefits of these rules really make up for the added
complexity in rendering. Effects like this can be achieved with existing
CSS, without compromizing the document semantics to a great deal. Please
refer to http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/ for an
example of this technique.

I do think the idea is rather "cool", but I feel CSS3 needs to adress
more rudimentary issues relating to design, like the current
impossibility of vertically centering a block level element of unknown
height inside another block level element of unknown height. But that's
another issue.

Ultimately I guess my point is that all sorts of stuff could be added to
CSS, but there would always be people wanting more. The fact that this
effect can be achieved as it is now suggests it being less than a
burning need to implement it at the moment.

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/