Re: XML incremental rendering, was Re: Standards mode and Quirks mode (was Re: [CSS21] Test Suite)

Thanks, Malcolm,

See: If a user agent encounters an element it does not recognize:

XHTML: "must process the element's content."
HTML:  "should try to render the element's content"

It is not exactly same thing - HTML will try to render, XHTML will process -
I have no idea what this "process" means here.

And in the link you provided:

"In order to be consistent with the XML 1.0 Recommendation [XML], the user
agent must parse and evaluate an XHTML document for well-formedness. If the
user agent claims to be a validating user agent, it must also validate
documents against their referenced DTDs according to [XML]. "

Actually this is even more strict: in general validation against DTD could
not be done on partial content.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

From: "Malcolm Rowe"