Re: XML incremental rendering, was Re: Standards mode and Quirks mode (was Re: [CSS21] Test Suite)

From: "Henri Sivonen"

> The XML processor is required to quit normal processing upon detecting
> a fatal error. It is not prohibited from passing data to the app when
> it has not yet detected a fatal error.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#dt-fatal

Right.

But such "passed data" is a raw material and not a well formed document.
*Strictly speaking* it is not an XHTML until </html> read.
Again we can dream a lot about partial rendering but *formally* we cannot do
this.

HTML, at least, has :
"If a user agent encounters an element it does not recognize, it should try
to render the element's content."
[http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#h-B.1]
This statement allows to render non valid documents e.g. having non-closed

XHTML does not have nothing close and no mentioning about partial content at
all.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

From: "Henri Sivonen"