Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

On Jul 24, 2004, at 00:28, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Friday, July 23, 2004, 10:52:37 PM, Henri wrote:
>
> HS> On Jul 23, 2004, at 22:15, Chris Lilley wrote:

> HS> My policy has been to be intentionally silent about old doctypes,
> HS> obscure doctypes and homegrown doctypes in order to discourage
> people
> HS> from using them.
>
> Well, that is fair enough; but for XHTML its certainly appropriate to
> use a different one,

I document the mode behavior with Appendix C-compatible doctypes, but I
don't suggest they be used due to reasons given in
http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

> for example to describe which subset of that modular specification is
> used.

The specs with modular DTDs don't apply to text/html. Also, the
browsers support whatever subset of XHTML they happen to support. A
doctype does not change that.

> HS> I seriously recommend using only either
> HS> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> HS> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> Which gives standards mode in some browsers and quirks mode in others.
> Which is a pity.

It does not give the quirks mode in any non-beta browser that does
doctype sniffing and that I am aware of. The early Safari betas have
(for practical purposes) been replaced with newer versions.

>>> Results from more browsers, if available, would be good there
>>> too. I am thinking particularly of Safari,
>
> HS> Already covered in the same column as contemporary Mozilla.
>
> Thanks (although that was not clear when I posted my question)

The column header is too crowded.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi