Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

On Jul 23, 2004, at 22:15, Chris Lilley wrote:
> BZ> What behavior do other browsers have with regard to unknown
> doctypes?
>
> BZ> This would be a good thing to add to that quirks/standards chart
> that was cited
> BZ> earlier in the thread.
>
> It would.

My policy has been to be intentionally silent about old doctypes,
obscure doctypes and homegrown doctypes in order to discourage people
from using them.

I seriously recommend using only either
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
or
for new content served as text/html.

This recommendation of mine has been stable and appropriate for four
years despite refinements to doctype sniffing and more browsers
adopting the practice. I see no good reason to encourage authors to use
a wider variety of doctypes for text/html. (At least not until the WHAT
WG work exits the draft stage.)

(For XML on the Web, including XHTML served as application/xhtml+xml, I
advocate doctypelessness and using other means, such as Relax NG, for
assessing correct element usage.)

> Results from more browsers, if available, would be good there
> too. I am thinking particularly of Safari,

Already covered in the same column as contemporary Mozilla.

> Konqueror,

On my todo list.

>  NetFront and the browser from Openwave.

Are these known to do doctype sniffing?