Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, 11:17:36 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> MM> handle this syntax (probably due to the incompatible definition of
>> MM> the first rule is ignored (or all rules in the case of Firefox).
>>
>> Bleurgh.

BZ> That was my reaction too.  Per conversation with Mark, this ONLY happens when
BZ> the file is served as "text/html".  Using XML or XHTML MIME types works fine in
BZ> firefox.

OK, I un-bleurgh. Whatever a browser does in tag-soup mode is
undocumented black magic. If it works in the standards mode then fine.

BZ> The reason CDATA sections in text/html cause issues is that the tag-soup parser
BZ> doesn't really understand them, so the "<[CDATA[" part is passed to the CSS
BZ> parser.  This last treats it as an error and skips forward, matching pairs of
BZ> quotes, parentheses, and (most importantly) square brackets.  So the entire
BZ> sheet is skipped.

Right. I agree that putting this into something served as text/html is a
really bad idea. Since the discussion was xhtml I assumed it was served
with the correct MIME type.

BZ> Of course sending XHTML 1.1 markup (which these tests are) as text/html is an
BZ> issue in itself...

Yes, its a broken misfeature that should never have been suggested.
Trying to send XML to a tag-souper and saying "don't use this" "leave a
space here it might help" etc is a disaster.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group