Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

Mark Moore wrote:

> Lachlan,
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to provide detailed comments.  I like the
> "<!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/" trick, but it seems simpler to just eliminate
> the "<![CDATA[" and "}}>" section markers all together.  They don't serve
> any useful purpose.
>
> I also liked your suggestion that the CSS 2.1 Test Suite use XHTML 1.0
> Strict in lieu of XHTML 1.1.

It doesn't matter which version of XHTML is used, I didn't realise that
the test came from Hixie.  XHTML *should* be served as
application/xhtml+xml for XHTML 1.0 and *must* be for XHTML 1.1.  If an
XHTML 1.0 document is to be served as both text/html and
application/xhtml+xml, then you must use this syntax
   <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/ ... /*]]>*/-->

If a file is to be served as *only* text/html, then it's better to just
use HTML 4 since that won't require any error handling, and then the
simpler <!-- ... --> syntax can be used.  Hixie explains this better
than I have:

   http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

>>   Also, you should notice that Opera ignored the CSS because the
>>document was being parsed as text/html in Opera, rather than
>>application/xhtml+xml as indicated in the information panel on the left.
>
> Not sure why that would be.  I have a stock version of Opera 7.51.  If you
> look at the info pane, it looks to me like Opera parsed the file as
> text/html (see "MIME type from server:"), not application/xhtml+xml.  I
> believe IIS defaults to sending Content-Type of text/html in the HTTP
> headers for unknown file types (e.g. .xhtml).

I didn't realize you were serving it from a server on localhost, I
thought it was just from the local file system.  That explains why IE
parsed and attempted to render the document.  If you either configure
the server to send .xhtml docuements as application/xhtml+xml, then IE
will present a save as dialog as expected.  Also, if you select to open
a .xhtml file in Internet Exploder from the context menu, then it *may*
parse it as HTML (it did for me when I tested, but no guarentee it will
work for your system setup).  if you type the URI in the address bar,
and press enter it will launch the default application for XHTML files,
whatever that may be on your system.

I don't know why, but Opera 7.52 on my system didn't render the same as
the image in the screen shot.

--
Lachlan Hunt

lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au