Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

Mark Moore wrote:

> Due to various limitations (primarily of IE6), neither the 'xhm', nor the
> 'xml' extensions are particularly good.  If the tests are renamed with the
> xhtml extension, the tests can be loaded using Firefox, Mozilla, Opera,
> *and* IE6.

   No, they cannot.  Obviously, you didn't try it before posting this.
XHTML files are rejected by IE.  When opened from the local file system,
IE launches the default application for that extension (eg. Mozilla
Firefox on my system), and when served from the network correctly as
application/xhtml+xml, then IE presents a save dialog.  XML, served as
text/xml and (I believe) application/xml are treated as generic XML,
since it does not recognise the namespace or doctype, and thus will not
processed or styled as XHTML.  However, styles can still be applied
using the <?xml-stylesheet?> PI.

> For the interested, '.xml' files cause IE6 to parse the identified DTD
> (xhtml11.dtd).  The DTD for XHTML 1.1 is modular, and IE6 incorrectly barfs
> on the missing but IGNORE'd xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod.

   We are aware of IE6's many bugs, and that it does *not* support XHTML
at all.

> In addition, IE6 uses the "file extension" to determine which application
> should handle the received content even though URI's don't have file
> extensions.  For URI's ending in '.xht', IE6 attempts to open the (unknown)
> associated application, and the user is presented with a useless "Open
> With..." dialog.

   This is contradictory to what you said above.  First, you said the IE
doesn't support .xml, and now your saying it doesn't support .xht(ml).
Althought, this time, you are correct: it does not support .xht(ml), but
does support .xml.

> 3) PNG images are used in 75 of the tests, while GIF images are used in 4.
> The use of PNG's doesn't add anything to the tests, yet eliminates UA's that
> don't render this format (most notably IE6).

   IE does support PNG, except for alpha transparancy.  So this is not a
problem, unless the images do contain alpha transparency.  And if they
do, I would assume the use of transparency is likely to be important for
the test, so PNGs must be used anyway, if that is the case.

--
Lachlan Hunt

lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au
http://www.lachy.id.au/