Re: Question about root element background image position.

Hi, Justin!

> html != viewport
>
> html *can* = viewport however.   iirc

I do know that "html != viewport" in current implementation of Mozilla

IE behaves as "html/body == viewport" though.
Seems like in IE viewport is *always* covered by border-box
(border+paddings+width/height) of
document root element. And you cannot set margins (which is reasonable).

Personally I cannot see any problems if we would have root (or viewport or
window) declared as:

view /* or @view  */
{
    overflow:auto; // can be changed
    background-* ... // can be changed
    width:viewport-width; // always
    height:viewport-height; // always
    margin:0; //always
    padding:0; //always
}

And allow also background-image, etc. be applied to this
element/quasi-element.
It would be nice also if we would "deprecate" background-attachment:fixed
attribute as it does not needed after that - image applied to the root will
never scroll. In this case it will be possible to use e.g. hardware
acceleration for scrolling. As for now, Mozilla cannot use hardware
acceleration, IE/win32 use it, as it allows  background-attachment:fixed
only in the root element - so it can decide to use ScrollWindow API or not
with zero effort.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

Justin Wood: