[Fwd: Re: Handling unrecognized or unsupported charset]

It's not best case I agree. Personally I think style sheets should give errors
and fail. The idea of silently ignoring errors or conflicts is bogus.

But I don't see that doing as much as you can is any worse than not using the
entire sheet as you suggested (I think.)
tex

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Tex Texin wrote:
> > No, the style sheet is defined in terms of unicode characters, but the encoding can
> > be anything and parsing can be in the native encoding as long as it is equivalent to
> > Unicode.
>
> This last part is sort of key.
>
> > If in the case of an unrecognized encoding, the parser presumed utf-8 and
> > looked for the usual boundary markers (@, ;, etc.) for many sheets it would do an
> > adequate job of parsing.
>
> Yes, but is that desirable?  That would get flat-wrong results for any
> non-ascii-compatible encoding out there, for example...  of which there are plenty.
>
> -Boris

Making e-Business Work Around the World