Re: [CSS21] selector's specificity issues.

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>  > Can you rephrase in such a way as to be "not difficult to understand"?
>
>In general:
>For any given pair of selectors X and Y with nonempty set(X Y)
>set(X Y) > set(X+Y)
>and
>set(X Y) >= set(X>Y)
>
>This means that specificity of X Y and X+Y/X>Y are different for sure.

Interesting proof.  Largely irrelevant, but interesting.

"Specificity" is a term of art that is exactly defined in the spec.
You are arguing for a change in that term of art and the portion of
the spec that defines it.  Proving that X+Y and X>Y always select
fewer elements than X Y is not important.  What is important are the
users and implementors.  Are users asking for the change?  How will
they be affected by it?  Does it make the material easier or more
difficult to use?  Is it easy to implement?  Does it break anything
that already works reliably?

You have some good ideas, Andrew, and you are technically very adept.
But you need to target your suggestions more carefully toward the
material.  You haven't answered any of the questions I posed, nor
even attempted to do so.  As far as I can see, your suggestion: 1.
Makes the spec harder to understand. 2. Changes an existing
implementation that is already working fine.  3. Doesn't answer any
real user need.

As we say here in the American South: "This dog just don't hunt."

--

-Adam Kuehn