Re: [CSS21] selector's specificity issues.

> Why should ul>li trump li:first-child?

From mathematical point of view:

Lets say we have '@none' as a selector part.

Then "li:first-child" will be equivalent of
@none + li

And  li:last-child (hypothetical)  will be
li + @none

Conclusion: li:first-child has the same weight as "XX+YY" case.

Idea: to use prefix/postfix minus for that  "-li" (first li) and "li-" (last
li)

> Why should td+td trump td.class?

It does not "trump", it just has the same weight as
td[colspan=2] has the same weight as td.class

The power of the set [1] constituted by strong dom relation
attributes/designators ( + and >) is
the same as  XX[attribute] set's power.

[1] http://www.fact-index.com/p/po/power_set.html

Andrew Fedoniouk.